Friday, June 20, 2008

The Innocent Man

Since I got hold of books by John Grisham, I have become attracted to legal thrillers. I have read countless of his books, except for his old ones like The Client, The Pelican Brief, etc. I started reading his books when my landlady hand me The Chamber. It was made into a movie but I wanted to read and know how good he is.

Fast forward, then came his first non-fiction book. When a friend of mine was in Manila, he told me that he was in Powerbooks and because he knows I read a lot of Grishams, informed me that The Innocent Man is out on paperback. I told him to buy me one, unfortunately, he doesn't have some extra cash. It was Midnight sale anyway in G-Mall so I decided to try my luck at NBS. Then I found the last 2 copies of the book. Without thinking of my budget, I bought it and hurriedly read it.

The element of thriller that are present in most of Grisham's book is still evident in the book. It was narrated in a manner that you will fell sorry for the protagonist and how he suffered the consequences of the crime he did not commit. The story then continued on his being misjudged and his life on death row. There are also religious aspects discussed on the book, on how Ron (that was his name) was denied by his church and decided to join another community. It all ended on the time of his death when he was diagnosed with liver disease.

It is a good read because you will get to realize that there are indeed injustices, not because of money or lack of it, but because people in power plays with it.

No comments: